Monday 23 July 2012

Bircher Muesli from the Ashton, Lancaster

www.shropshirebreakfast.co.uk

Mr B&B sometimes travels on business and he came back from one trip raving about the Bircher Muesli he'd been served for breakfast on his BA flight. It's not often I've been asked to replicate airline food at home, though I did once have a rather fabulous soy salad dressing on a flight to San Francisco that I've been trying to make ever since.

I know that James at The Ashton in Lancaster, currently holder of the title of England's Best B&B, had mentioned a Bircher Muesli recipe to me, so I asked him to send it through.

It's best to soak the oats overnight apparently but I've made it in the morning with just an hour to go and it tastes fine in my opinion. Serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a big main breakfast.

I've also seen recipes with currants, sultanas etc. I'm not keen so they're not in this recipe.

100g porridge oats
200ml apple juice
2 apples grated
150ml natural yoghurt
Toasted Flaked Almonds
Summer Berries

The night before, put the oats into a large bowl and pour in the apple juice, stir well and then cover and put in the fridge overnight.

In the morning grate in the apples, add the yoghurt and stir in the berries, leaving a few to sprinkle on top.

The sweetness of it will depend on the apple juice you've used. If it's not sweet enough for you, I reckon a drizzle of honey would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment