Saturday 10 March 2012

Hopton House Omelette

I have to confess that I'm not very keen on eggs. With 26 hens & an egg glut at the moment this is a bit unfortunate. It's also a bit of a nuisance when you're running a B&B. One of my cooking rules is that I never cook anything I wouldn't eat myself, but an egg-free B&B breakfast is probably one step too far.

Luckily I have a husband who loves eggs so I'm able to practise poaching, frying &  boiling eggs on him.

The 2 exceptions are scrambled eggs & omelette. I'll occasionally eat scrambled eggs with a cooked breakfast. But only ever with the beautiful gold yolked eggs from my own hens and never when we're eating out or staying at a hotel or B&B.

I do however quite enjoy a good omelette. It's one of the simplest breakfast, lunch or supper dishes you can do, ready in just 2 minutes. In the summer I serve it for lunch with red ripe tomatoes with lots of olive oil, sea salt & basil. In the winter I'll dish it up with some Heinz Baked Beans.

I also serve a 3 egg omelette for breakfast at the B&B. Guests can choose from plain or any combinations of mushroom, cheese, tomato, smoked salmon or bacon.

For a great 3 eggs omelette. First preheat the grill. Then whisk together 3 free range eggs in a bowl till the whites & yolks are well combined. Just before you're about to make the omelette add a pinch of salt & a grind of black pepper.

Take an omelette plan ( I use a small black cheap supermarket frying pan that does the job perfectly ).
Put the pan on a high heat & add a knob of butter. The butter will start to sizzle. As soon as it stops sizzling pour the eggs into the pan & leave for about 30 seconds to set. Then tilt the pan & start to draw all the edges of the omelette into the centre. When you've done this add your filling of choice - my favourite is our local Little Hereford cheese, and cook for about 30 seconds to a 1 minute.

I like my omelette completely cooked ( the French will probably disagree with me ) so I then pop it under the grill to melt the cheese and cook the top. This causes it to puff up beautifully.

Then slip it out onto a hot plate, folding it in half as you do so ( if you struggle to fold it then use a spatula )

To try these breakfasts at Hopton House B&B please visit
www.shropshirebreakfast.co.uk

To learn how to set up, market & run your own B&B please visit
www.bedandbreakfastacademy.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes well cooked omelette works for me, I can't bear them even slightly runny. I'm the same with scrambled egg it has to be dry, we once stayed at a really posh hotel where they ladled the runny scrambled eggs out of a huge tureen! Which is why B&Bs are much nicer places to stay, you can at least ask for your eggs to be cooked how you want them.

    Julie S.

    ReplyDelete