Friday 9 March 2012

Homemade Shortbread

Shortbread

I know this isn't strictly a breakfast recipe, though I have been known to sneak a piece of shortbread with my morning tea. However I do put homemade shortbread in all of the guest rooms which is why I've included this recipe in my blog.

I have Mary Berry to thank for the original recipe - thank you Mary

No apologies for my use of imperial measurements here - I'm a child of the 70's and a fan of American cooking so I will happily switch between ounces, grams & cups.

I've specified cornflour here. This makes a very soft, melt in the mouth ( or melt in your tea if you're a dunker like me ) biscuit. If you like something a bit crunchier use ground rice, semolina or polenta.

You can add different flavours to vary your shortbread; powdered & crystallised ginger, chocolate chips, lavender flowers etc etc

8oz plain flour
8oz butter ( soft room temperature )
4oz caster sugar
4oz cornflour

Preheat oven to 140 degrees C ( this is for a fan oven, a conventional oven will need to be about 160 )

Line a 12x9 inch roasting tin ( if you own an AGA this is the small pan ) with foil or silicon lining.

Beat all the ingredients together to form a dough, then press into the pan and spread out so the top is even. Prick all over with a fork, then put into the oven.

Bake for about 40 minutes or until the top is slightly golden.

Take out of the oven and leave in the tin till they are completely cool. If you take out too soon they may be too crumbly. Then take out of the pan and cut into fingers ( as thick or as thin as you like ).

Keeps for a few days in an airtight tin ( assuming you don't live with my husband or have lots of B&B guests )

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!! Love a piece of shortbread any time of the day :) Off to go and dig out the ingredients.....

    ReplyDelete