Thursday 3 May 2012

Honey Oat Bread

www.shropshirebreakfast.co.uk

I make no apologies for using a bread machine as there are days when I don't have time to make the amount of bread I need at the B&B by hand. However I don't bake it in the bread machine but, instead, use the dough setting, form the dough into 2 loaves and bake in the oven. I think this makes a better shaped loaf and gives me 2 loaves for 550g flour.

This is a lovely dense loaf perfect for eating warm from the oven with soup, rather than to be used for toasting at breakfast.

1.25 tsp yeast
100g rolled oats
350g granary bread flour ( I really like Wessex Mill Six Seed Bread Flour )
100g strong white bread flour
2tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp thick set local honey
1.5 tsp salt
320 ml water

2 x 1lb loaf tins, which I grease with butter and sprinkle with flour

Place the ingredients in your breadmaker and place on the dough setting. ( Or mix by hand or use the dough hook on a mixer to knead till elastic, put in an oiled bowl and leave somewhere warm to rise till double in size - about 2 hours )

When the dough is ready, knock it down & split into 2 equal portions. Roll each piece of dough and put into the prepared loaf tins.

Place a damp tea towel or some cling film over the the tins and put in a warm place to double in size which takes about 30-45 minutes ( or you can put in the fridge overnight to rise slowly and bake in the morning ).

When it's risen you can split the top using a very sharp knife and sprinkle with oats.

Bake in an oven at 200 degrees C for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment