Monday 2 April 2012

Asparagus topped with poached eggs & hollandaise

www.shropshirebreakfast.co.uk

Local Shropshire asparagus is now available at the Ludlow Food Centre and on Ludlow Market. I got a bit of a telling off by several people last week for eating it too early but as we also have it growing in our garden I'm guessing it's now in season!

I was reading today that asparagus can grow 5 inches in a day in hot weather.

I put it on as a breakfast special this weekend as I had a number of guests who seemed to be avoiding the meatier options.

To serve 4 people you need to make some hollandaise sauce - recipe here and poach 8 eggs - recipe here.

Steam the asparagus for 3-5 minutes. How long it takes will depend on how thick it is. test with a small sharp knife. I prefer mine on the crunchy side of just cooked.

Place 4-5 spears of asparagus on a hot plate, top with 2 eggs and a quarter of the hollandaise. Would be nice with some toasted crusty white bread or sourdough.

No comments:

Post a Comment