Wednesday 10 October 2012

Gluten Free Banana Bread


www.shropshirebreakfast.co.uk

I often have guests with specific dietary requirements staying & am always looking for suitable alternatives to dish up for breakfast.

I've learned a bit about a gluten free diet from various guests over the years. Catering specifically for a coeliac diet can be a bit tricky as you can't let any wheat flour contaminate the food you're preparing.

Gluten free bread has to be toasted separately & you have to ensure that items like butter, jams etc haven't accidently got bread crumbs in them.

I buy brand new bags of gluten free, flour, sugar etc when I have to bake gluten free.

I made this banana bread for breakfast this morning - it worked very well and was almost indistinguishable from that which I make with normal flour.

I would have added a tablespoon of honey & 1 teaspoon of cinnamon instead of the mixed spice but both were open & I couldn't guarantee no random flour particles!

( BTW I forgot to take a photo of the bread so this is picture of my normal banana bread - looked exactly the same ;0)

50g softened butter
90g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 ripe banana
110g gluten free self raising flour
1 level tsp gluten free baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp milk

Put all the ingredients in a mixer and beat for 2 minutes.
Put into a 1lb loaf tin lined with a paper liner and baked at 180 degrees ( fan oven ) for about 40 minutes until golden & firm.
Leave to cool a bit before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment